The NYFC will celebrate its centennial season in 2019-20. Updates here.
The New York Flute Club sponsors:
- A professional concert series
- The New York Flute Fair
- An ensemble program
- A monthly newsletter
- An education program
- Commissions of new music for flute
- A variety of publications and recordings
- Free admission and one or more guest tickets to monthly concerts
- Ensemble program
- Access to extensive member directory
- Free listing of members' events in our online and newsletter calendars
- Monthly newsletter
Welcome to the New York Flute Club
2020 Vision: Looking back and moving forward
Flute Fair 2020: Info/Updates Registration SCHEDULE
Saturday, February 29, 2020 8:30 am to 7:00 pm
Don't walk. Don't run. Leap to the New York Flute Fair at W83 Ministry Center, 150 West 83rd Street, NYC (bet. Amsterdam and Columbus Aves.)
Enjoy a full day of concerts, masterclasses, workshops, exhibits, ensembles, and competitions!
• Gala Concert by Met Opera flutists Seth Morris, Chelsea Knox, Maron Khoury, Stephanie Mortimore, and Koren McCaffrey
• Repertoire Masterclass with Seth Morris, Excerpts Masterclass with Maron Khoury, and Piccolo Masterclass with Stephanie Mortimore.
• Lessons from the Opera: withTrudy Kane, former principal flutist, Met Opera.
• The New York Flute Club At 100: A lecture on the NYFC’s fascinating history by archivist-historian Nancy Toff. With historic recordings and live performances of works by Marion Bauer, Otto Luening, Ezra Laderman, and Toots Mondello that were premiered at the club, played by Trudy Kane, Mindy Kaufman, Deirdre McArdle, Kathleen Nester, Rie Schmidt, Wendy Stern, and Carol Wincenc.
• Workshops on focal hand dystonia, Playing without Pain Preparing for Competitions and Auditions, Preparing for Competitions and Auditions, Failure as Our Greatest Teacher, Mindful Practice: Time Management in the Real World, The Mature Flutist
• Ensemble Reading Sessions
• Young Musicians Meet and Greet and other activities just for students.
• Listen to the final round of the New York Flute Club Competition.
Leave some time to shop!
Flute makers and vendors, music publishers, and other members of the music industry will exhibit their products for sale.
This year the NYFC tag sale is overflowing. Don't forget to stop by to purchase donated music and flute-related items. All proceeds to benefit the NYFC. Visit the NYFC table for CDs and publications by NYFC members and guest artists. NYFC members may sell up to 10 items at the NYFC table.
Discount for preregistration
Register online by midnight, February 24 to save the onsite registration surcharge of $10 ($5 for students and seniors). Or, register by mail.
Our 2019-2020 season of concerts and workshops
|September 15, 2019||100 Flutes for 100 Years (at Governors Island)|
|October 20, 2019||The Legacy of Samuel Baron|
|November 17, 2019||SPECIAL EVENT: Gala Centennial Concert (at Merkin Hall)**|
|December 15, 2019||Flutists of the New York Philharmonic|
|January 12, 2020||Flutists of the New York City Ballet|
|February 29, 2020||Flute Fair with Flutists of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
(at W83 Ministry Center)
|March 29, 2020||Flutists and Friends of the American Ballet Theatre|
|April 19, 2020||Winners of the 2020 NYFC Competition with pre-concert mini-recital and masterclass with Paula Robison|
** Admission not included with membership
News and Updates
We are proud to announce that we have commissioned Gabriela Lena Frank to write a work for flute and piano to commemorate the centennial of the Flute Club. The score of Five Andean Improvisations has just arrived, and it will be premiered by Carol Wincenc at our gala centennial concert in November. It will be published by G. Schirmer. Find more about Ms. Frank here.
Become a Member
You can join or renew your membership online and, with membership, view our membership directory, edit your profile, and list your upcoming concerts in Member Events. More member benefits are listed on our membership registration page.
The New York Flute Club, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of flute playing and the appreciation of flute music. It provides a common meeting ground for professional, student, and amateur flutists and offers performance opportunities for flutists and composers. We welcome as members musicians and music lovers who are interested in the flute and flute music. Founded in1920 by eminent flutist Georges Barrère, composer Lamar Stringfield, and a group of their associates, The New York Flute Club is the oldest such organization in the United States.