Concerts, Events & More
2021: The New York Flute Club Career Challenge
Created in response to the pandemic and the effect it has had on all of us, particularly those who were jolted out of mid-stage career building, the Career Challenge is for flutists 28 and over with no upper age limit. A panel of distinguished judges will choose three winners with an emphasis on individuality, musicianship, and artistry. The winners will each perform one of the three pieces in a virtual recital sponsored by the New York Flute Club in May. As the purpose of this competition is to incentivize professional level players to compete for the joy of it, there will be no cash prize.
- All entrants must be members of The New York Flute Club. If you are not currently a member, you may join or renew online here. The membership fee is $70 regular, $40 for full-time students and seniors (65+), and $25 for COVID hardship.
- Complete and submit your Career Challenge application online HERE. The deadline for submission is April 8, 2021.
- The Challenge fee is $25.
- Eligible age: 28 or over on May 1st. The NYFC reserves the right to ask winners to provide proof of age.
Required works (complete):
- Valerie Coleman, Danza de la Mariposa (published by Theodore Presser)
and a choice of either
- the C.P.E. Bach Sonata in A Minor, Wq132
- Image for Solo Flute, Op. 38 by Eugène Bozza (Leduc).
- February 15, 2021: applications open
- April 8, 2021: Applications with video recordings due
- April 15, 2021: winners notified
- May date TBA: virtual pre-recorded performance
Video recording submission information
The Career Challenge competition videos should be recorded as two separate, complete performances with no editing or modifications. Please upload the Coleman and your discretionary piece to YouTube, and submit the links to both performances on the application form.
For more information, please email Deirdre McArdle at email@example.com.