Young Musicians Contest 2018
Sunday, February 4, 2018
School for Strings
419 West 54th Street
New York, New York, 10019
The Young Musicians Contest, first held in 2008, was designed to foster the development of young local flutists by exposing them to a healthy competitive environment and allowing them to receive constructive comments from professional flutists in town.
The contest is divided into four age groups: ages 8 and under, 9 to 11, 12 to 14, and 15 to 18 years of age (In the last category, students must currently be in high school or the home schooling equivalent). This year's contest will take place on Sunday, February 4, 2018. A winner is then chosen from each category to perform his or her audition piece in a concert at the New York Flute Fair, this year on Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Each contestant will receive comment sheets from all the judges, in addition to a certificate with a colored ribbon reflecting one of three levels of awards.
- Blue Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is highly polished. Given to students who demonstrate a high level of skill, musicality, and preparation as well as good stage presence and an overall comfort with the instrument and performing.
- Red Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is well prepared. Given to students who have abundant talent as musicians and should consider work in several areas to fully realize their potential.
- Yellow Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is "in progress." Given to students who have substantial potential as musicians and should consider the judges' comments for further study.
We suggest that contestants play the pieces which show their strengths so that the comments they receive will be helpful to better their flute playing. Memorization is not required, and it is completely up to the contestant whether to memorize or not. Contestants may enter in multiple years to participate in different age categories with more challenging pieces as their musicianship and flute skills grow. However, previous winners are not eligible to compete again in the same age category.
- Have a teacher who is a 2017-2018 NYFC member. If a teacher is not a member, he or she must join or renew before the applicant submits the contest application.
- Complete an application and pay an entrance fee of $45 by the January 21, 2018 deadline (or $35 for applications submitted on or before January 14, 2018).
- Be available to perform in the winners' recital at the NYFC Flute Fair on Sunday, February 25, 2018, if chosen.
Repertoire: One piece written for either solo flute or flute and piano. Individual movements of multi-movement works are allowed but cuts or alterations are not. Pieces written with piano accompaniment must be performed with the accompaniment. For those unable to bring an accompanist, one will be provided. (30-minute rehearsals may be scheduled prior to the contest for $30. Please email Yeami Kim to schedule.)
Prizes: The winner in each age category will receive an award and will perform in the winners' recital at the NYFC Flute Fair on Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Deadline: The application deadline is January 21, 2018. Previous winners are not eligible to compete in the same age category. For more information, please contact Contest Coordinator Yeami Kim.
Proof of age: a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license is required as proof of eligible age. Please bring to the contest to show when you check in.
- By Mail. Please complete an application and send it with a check, made payable to "The New York Flute Club", to Yeami Kim, c/o New York Flute Club, 2109 Broadway, #1206, New York, NY 10023. TThe application fee is $35 until January 14, 2018, $45 until January 21, 2018.
- Online. Your online application must be submitted no later than January 21, 2017. Payment is by PayPal. The application fee is $35 until January 14, 2018, $45 until January 21, 2018. PLEASE INCLUDE THE STUDENT'S NAME IN THE "INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT" BOX ON THE PAYPAL TRANSACTION. (If you have a problem submitting online, please let us know.}